Newark and Sherwood Homes Limited
Kelham Hall, Kelham
Newark On Trent,
Notts, NG23 5QX
Tel: 0845 258 5550

Newark and Sherwood Homes

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Universal Credit

Combining benefits into one payment

A new way of paying benefits, Universal Credit, will combine a number of out of work benefits and in work benefits into one. 

Universal Credit will be paid as a single monthly payment, in arrears to one person in the household. It will replace individual payments of:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

You will generally need a bank or building society account or similar banking service, and new claims will normally be made online.  Information about opening a bank account is available from the Money Advice Service.

You will also need to pay your rent from your Universal Credit payment. It is therefore very important that you get organised and set up payment arrangements to ensure that you do not fall behind with your rent.

For information about how you can make rent payments

Alternatively Contact us.

When is it happening?

From October 2013 – to 2017

  • All newly unemployed job seekers will be the first to claim Universal Credit.  
  • It will be rolled out and extended to all groups by 2017

How to prepare – some tips

You can get advice online by answering some questions about your personal circumstances - it should take 5 to 10 minutes.

What action can you take?

  • Make sure you know how you’ll access the internet to make your claim and how you will manage your monthly payment.

  • Get to grips with the basics of computers and the internet

  • Consider the many ways you can pay rent –There are a range of ways to pay rent - including by direct debit

  • Carry out a full benefits check to ensure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to ahead of UC - especially mixed age couples using the Benefit Calculator

  • Find help with finding work by signing up for Universal Job match

  • Review your budget – so your budget works for you.  

  • You can get help with budgeting support for Universal Credit from the Money Advice Service.

If you are in debt, get help with managing debt

Contact us, we can refer you to: Sherwood and Newark Citizens Advice for free face to face or telephone support at New Ollerton and Newark Framework with sessions available in Newark, New Ollerton, Rainworth or Blidworth.

A range of self help information is also available from the Money Advice Service

Consider other national and local organisations helplines and websites.




Site Translation