Newark and Sherwood Homes Limited
Kelham Hall, Kelham
Newark On Trent,
Notts, NG23 5QX
Tel: 0845 258 5550

Newark and Sherwood Homes

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Personal Independence Payments (formerly Disability Living Allowance)

What are Personal Independence Payments?

A Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit to help people with some extra costs because of a long term health condition or disability.  The amount payable is based on how a health condition or disability affects a person’s condition.

There are two parts to PIP:

  •  Daily living (standard or enhanced rate)
  •  Mobility (standard or enhanced rate)

You could get between £21 to £134.40 a week to help with the extra costs caused by your condition. How much you get is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you.

If you currently get DLA

If you currently get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and you are between 16 and 64 you will be assessed again for PIP.

You can apply for PIP when asked (even if you get an indefinite or lifetime DLA award). When you apply, your DLA will continue until DWP makes a decision about your claim. If you decide not to apply, your DLA will end.

Use the PIP checker to find out:

  •  when your DLA will be affected - usually this won’t be until 2015 or later
  •  what happens to a child’s DLA when they turn 16

Getting assessed for the new Personal Independence Benefit

From June 2013, new claims are for PIP, not DLA. You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your award will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

To get a PIP you must have met the conditions of the government's daily living test or the mobility activities test for three months before claiming. And you must continue to meet them for at least nine months after claiming.

How to claim

Phone the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP - see below). You will be asked for information like:

  • Contact details and date of birth     
  • National Insurance number             
  • Bank or building society details
  • Doctor’s or health worker’s name
  • Details of any time you’ve spent abroad or in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you will need to be with them when they call. You can also write asking for a form to send the above information by post (this can delay your claim).

What happens next

You will be sent a ‘How your condition affects you’ form. It comes with notes to help you fill it in. Return the form to DWP - the address is on the form. You will need an assessment to complete your application.

If you are terminally ill

You can get PIP more quickly if you are not expected to live more than 6 months.

Phone DWP to start your PIP claim and then send them form DS1500 (you can only get this form from a doctor or other healthcare professional).

You will not need to complete the ‘How your condition affects you’ form or go to a face-to-face consultation.

New claims only
Telephone: 0800 917 2222.  Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Personal Independence Payment
PO Box 1303

For other General information
See the government's website information about the new Personal Independence Payment (PIP).  

By phone: 0845 850 3322.  Textphone: 0845 601 6677.
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges




Site Translation